Weather Forecast


Fargo burger place King Leo's goes out of business

King Leo's, 1443 42nd St. S., Fargo, closed its doors Saturday, Dec. 31, 2016, according to a post on the restaurant's Facebook page. Forum file photo

FARGO—King Leo's has closed its doors, a little more than a year since a new incarnation of the old burger place opened near West Acres Shopping Center.

The restaurant, which opened in November 2015 at 1443 42nd St. S., closed the night of Saturday, Dec. 31, according to a post on the business Facebook page. The short post also thanked customers for their business.

The eatery was only open for 13 months, but its roots in Fargo stretch back decades before that. The original King Leo's opened in 1960, and other locations also opened in Grand Forks and Minot, N.D., before the burger place closed in 1978.

Tom Poole, co-owner of the new version of King Leo's, told The Forum when the restaurant opened that its site at a busy intersection in Fargo meant about 19,000 vehicles drove by every day.

"If we can't make it here, we can't make it anywhere," he was quoted as saying in November 2015.

Poole couldn't be reached Wednesday, Jan. 4, for comment about the decision to close or what might replace King Leo's in the building.

Ryan Johnson

Ryan Johnson is the Features Editor for The Forum of Fargo-Moorhead. He previously wrote for The Forum and the Grand Forks Herald.

Have a comment to share about a story? Letters to the editor should include author’s name, address and phone number. Generally, letters should be no longer than 250 words. All letters are subject to editing. Send to

(701) 241-5587