Sections

Weather Forecast

Close

Fargo balcony fire started by smoking materials

FARGO – Stray smoking materials are to blame for a fire early this morning at an apartment on the south side of the city, according to Fargo fire officials.

  Fargo’s acting Fire Battalion Chief Joe Mangin said firefighters responded to a fire at about 12:49 a.m. on the second floor balcony of an apartment at 4452 47th St. S.

   On arrival, the fire appeared to already have been put out by people who live there, but before it was, it had spread under the patio door frame and into the void space between the first and second floors.

  Crews cut away the door frame and part of the floor to reach the affected area, Mangin said.

  Damage to the building is estimated at about $5,000, and was determined to have been caused by discarded smoking materials.

Advertisement
randomness