Sections

Weather Forecast

Close
Advertisement

Oven fire triggers evacuation at NDSU apartment building

Email Sign up for Breaking News Alerts
news Fargo, 58102
INFORUM
(701) 241-5406 (FAX) customer support
Fargo ND 101 5th Street North 58102

FARGO - A fire in a kitchen oven prompted an evacuation of an NDSU apartment building late Friday morning, Fargo fire officials said.

Advertisement
Advertisement

Shortly after 11:30 a.m., fire crews were sent to Bison Court University Apartments at 15th Avenue North and University Drive, where they found smoke in the building, Capt. Chris Kankelfritz said.

The origin of the smoke was a stove in a third-floor apartment. Firefighters brought the stove outside and ventilated the building with fans. 

Alarms in the building had sent residents outside, but they were allowed back inside soon afterward, Kankelfritz said.

Fire officials learned that someone cleaning the stove had accidentally turned it on, and a plastic object inside caught fire, Kankelfritz said.

The captain said the flames in the stove were extinguished by the time firefighters arrived. The apartment received minor smoke damage, he said.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
randomness