Sections

Weather Forecast

Close

Oven fire triggers NDSU apartment evacuation

A fire in a kitchen oven prompted an evacuation of an NDSU apartment building late Friday morning, Fargo fire officials said.

Shortly after 11:30 a.m., fire crews were sent to Bison Court University Apartments at 15th Avenue North and University Drive, where they found smoke in the building, Capt. Chris Kankelfritz said.

The origin of the smoke was a stove in a third-floor apartment. Firefighters brought the stove outside and ventilated the building.

Alarms in the building had sent residents outside, but they were allowed back inside soon afterward, Kankelfritz said.

Fire officials learned that someone cleaning the stove had accidentally turned it on, and a plastic object inside caught fire, Kankelfritz said.

The captain said the flames in the stove were extinguished by the time firefighters arrived.

Forum News Service
The Forum Communications News Service is the premier news wire service covering the Upper Midwest, stretching from the oilfields of western North Dakota to the plains of South Dakota and to the shores of eastern Minnesota. For more information about the services we offer or to discuss content subscriptions, please contact us.
Advertisement
randomness