FLOOD UPDATE: Fargo Public Schools slated to resume next MondayFargo Public Schools decided this morning to resume classes next Monday. But it won’t be as simple as just opening the doors back up to students and staff.
By: Kelly Smith, INFORUM
Fargo Public Schools decided this morning to resume classes next Monday. But it won’t be as simple as just opening the doors back up to students and staff.
“We really messed up your schools,” City Commissioner Tim Mahoney told the school board and administration today. “Remind people this is an epic flood. You can’t get things back on line (right away).”
The district has to reclaim buses they lent for shuttling evacuees, rearrange bus routes due to many street closures and recover several of their schools.
Four schools are occupied by the National Guard and two others are being used as shelters.
The land around Centennial Elementary and Discovery Middle School has been dug up in massive piles to provide for nearby dikes.
In the meantime, tests will be pushed back and teachers are asked to modify curriculum for the lost eight school days.
While school was canceled last week and throughout this week, teachers have been paid as usual during that time as well as this week, officials said.
The district expects the state to waiver the missed days, meaning that they won’t add any class days to the year, keeping the last day of school on June 3.
“It will be difficult because we will have lost those eight days, which are critical,” Assistant Superintendent of Instruction Bob Grosz said.
For more about what area schools need to do to prepare to reopen, read Tuesday’s Forum.
Readers can reach Forum reporterKelly Smith at (701) 241-5515