Little Miracles: Andrew Skalicky
By: Sherri Richards, INFORUM
- Born: Jan. 1, 2010, at 23 weeks
- Weight at birth: 1 pound, 8 ounces
- Parents: Jason and Cassie Skalicky, West Fargo
- Then: Andrew and his twin sister, Natalie, were the first babies born in Fargo-Moorhead in 2010. Natalie died 12 hours after she was born. Andrew spent 4½ months in the NICU and underwent numerous surgeries.
- Now: Andrew weighs almost 15 pounds. “He is still not at the first percentile for his height and weight, still not on the chart, but he’s getting close. Every time we go in he’s a little closer,” Cassie said.
Other than special formula and vitamins, Andrew doesn’t take any medications. He will be getting glasses soon, Cassie said.
Developmentally, he’s like a 4-month-old, which is how old he should be. He rolls over front-to-back and back-to-front. He eats rice cereal. He’s intrigued by baseball games on television.
“He likes it when we read books to him. He even likes to turn the pages,” Cassie said.
“He likes to pull his big sister’s hair, which is pretty darn normal, I’d say,” she added.
And 6-year-old Grace loves her little brother. She gets upset when other people touch him while the family is out and about. “He doesn’t need those germs,” Grace will tell her mom.