Ski Fargo-MoorheadWhile some people may bemoan the lack of rolling hills or majestic mountains or dynamic topography, Fargo-Moorhead’s flatness makes it prime real estate for cross-country skiers.
While some people may bemoan the lack of rolling hills or majestic mountains or dynamic topography, Fargo-Moorhead’s flatness makes it prime real estate for cross-country skiers.
“The (Red River) Valley is perfect; especially along the river corridor with the wind protection, it holds the trail because it’s not affected by elements as much,” says Holly Heitkamp, Moorhead recreation division manager.
Heitkamp grew up in a family of skiers and for 30 years has hit the trails with her siblings.
The new cross-country skiing shelter at M.B. Johnson Park in north Moorhead gives skiers another trail to try.
Though the heated facility includes bathrooms, it doesn’t rent equipment like Fargo’s Edgewood Golf Course does. Heitkamp hopes Moorhead’s budget will allow them to buy rental skis by 2012.
She also hopes M.B. Johnson Park’s trails will eventually meet up with those in the Viking Ship/
Here are the groomed trails in the metro area:
- M.B. Johnson Park, 3601 Oakport St. N.
- Viking Ship/Riverfront Park, 202 1st Ave. N.
- Woodlawn Park, 400 Woodlawn Drive
- Gooseberry Park, 100 22nd Ave. S.
- River Oaks Park, 100 River Oaks Point
- Edgewood Golf Course Trail, North Elm Street and Golf Course Road (36 Ave. N.)
- Dike East, 100 2nd St. S., to Lindenwood Trail, 5th St. and 17th Ave. S.
- Rose Creek Golf Course Trail, 1500 Rose Creek Parkway.
- Prairiewood Golf Course Trail, Prairiewood Drive and Westgate Circle
- North Elmwood, 500 13th Ave. W.
- South Elmwood Park, 535 13th Ave. W.
- Rendezvous Park, 1055 32nd Ave. W.