Favorite Things: SheSays writer shares her favorite workout musicWhen I get to the gym and realize I left my iPod at home or forgot to charge it, I’m completely crestfallen. There’s no way I would’ve been able to stick to my workout routine without music flowing through my little orange earbuds.
By: Meredith Holt, INFORUM
Editor’s note: SheSays Favorites is a weekly feature in SheSays that runs each Monday. SheSays staffers will gather a few of their favorite things to share with readers. Do you have a favorite you’d like to share? Email firstname.lastname@example.org.
When I get to the gym and realize I left my iPod at home or forgot to charge it, I’m completely crestfallen.
There’s no way I would’ve been able to stick to my workout routine without music flowing through my little orange earbuds.
Good tunes help me clear my mind, refocus, and turn my mental energy into physical energy.
Here are some of my favorite workout songs:
- “Daylight,” Matt & Kim. A cycling instructor friend of mine uses this as an opener for her spin class.
- “I Like It,” Enrique Iglesias Feat. Pitbull. I prefer post-mole Enrique.
- “No Fit State,” Hot Chip. Cue when you’re slogging through an intense cardio session.
- “Half Mast,” Empire of the Sun.
This song reminds me of “Somebody’s Baby” by Jackson Browne, which reminds of “Fast Times at Ridgemont High,” and I like anything that reminds me of “Fast Times at Ridgemont High.”
- “Not Afraid,” Eminem. Say what you want about him, Em pumps me up.
- “Memories,” David Guetta Feat. Kid Cudi. The French DJ’s album “Nothing But the Beat” gets a lot of play at the gym.
- “Enjoy the Silence,” Depeche Mode. An all-time favorite. Any cover, remix or version.
- “Heartbeats,” The Knife. Hit repeat.
- “Radio Ga Ga,” Queen. I can’t in good conscience compile any playlist without a track from Freddie the Great.
- “Dancing on My Own,” Robyn. Can you tell I like synth?
- “The Show Goes On,” Lupe Fiasco. My workout goes on.
- “Discovery,” Swing Tree. Light, twinkly, fun.
- “Never My Love,” Har Mar Superstar Feat. Adam Green. Chill cool-down song. Bonus trumpet solo.
Readers can reach Forum reporter Meredith Holt at (701) 241-5590