The Great Indoors: Potato salad for Thanksgiving?Well that's what I thought when our good buddy Josh Thomas told me he had a great recipe for us to try on "The Great Indoors." I know, I know Thanksgiving is about mashed potatoes and gravy, right? Potato Salad is for summer picnics.
By: Forum staff reports, INFORUM
Well that's what I thought when our good buddy Josh Thomas told me he had a great recipe for us to try on "The Great Indoors."
I know, I know Thanksgiving is about mashed potatoes and gravy, right? Potato Salad is for summer picnics.
But not to be discouraged, Josh said his potato salad was pretty festive and would fit right in.
You use red potatoes and green onions so it does have the Christmas colors going for it. (Maybe that's a stretch). But I will say, Josh's Loaded Potato Salad was tasty and full of flavor.
It seems like whenever I've tried to make potato salad it becomes a mayo-nasy, mustardy mess. But using dried ranch seasoning means you don't need to douse the salad in either condiment to get great flavor. Then again a little extra mayo never hurt anyone.
Indulge. It's Thanksgiving!
Josh's Loaded Potato Salad
• 2.5lbs - 3lbs small red potatoes
• a packet of ranch seasoning
• Mayo (I recommend the olive-oil infused mayo, as it is a little healthier and tastes the same as regular)
• 1 Jar Hormel shredded real bacon pieces. (Hormel shredded bacon will work the best, Baco's are a soy-based product and will get soggy. I've also found that bacon you cook yourself or even ready-made bacon will also get a bit too soggy and aren't the right consistency in this recipe)
• 1 Bag shredded cheddar cheese
• Chopped green onions
1) Wash potatoes thoroughly, chop in half and cut each half into 6 pieces (depending on the size of the potato), leaving the skin on. Place potatoes into a pot of boiling water for 20 minutes
2) Pour potatoes into strainer, run cold water over potatoes until water that is draining is cold.
3) Place cooled potatoes into a large mixing bowl, mix in 2 handfuls of bacon pieces, approx 5/6 packet of ranch, 3/4 - 1 cup of chopped green onions and 1.5 cups shredded cheese and enough mayo to coat all ingredients. After all ingredients are mixed well together, taste and judge if any more of the ingredients need to be added. One of the great things about this recipe is the versatility of the ingredients and how it can be made completely to taste.