Cool pools: You won’t have to travel far for these F-M area getawaysFARGO – A good way to beat the winter doldrums is a getaway right here in town, especially if that “staycation” lets you lounge poolside. Even better: if that pool has waterpark features to help kids burn off pent-up energy.
By: Sherri Richards, INFORUM
FARGO – A good way to beat the winter doldrums is a getaway right here in town, especially if that “staycation” lets you lounge poolside.
Even better: if that pool has waterpark features to help kids burn off pent-up energy.
We scoured online travel sites and the Fargo-Moorhead Convention and Visitors Bureau lodging search tool to find some wet and wild fun.
Nearly 40 local hotels boast indoor pools, according to our search. We then identified 10 that feature a little something extra, whether a slide, splash fountain or play structure.
Of these 10, three allow non-guests to pay to play: Arbuckle Lodge in Fargo, Days Inn in Casselton, N.D., and Sunset Motel in West Fargo.
Hotel room rates vary. Most offer party packages that allow groups of kids to swim without a room rental.
Here’s a breakdown of cool pools at Fargo-Moorhead area hotels.
- Arbuckle Lodge (formerly Settle Inn and Suites), 4325 23rd Ave. S., Fargo, (701) 235-4699
Pool features a small water slide (geared to ages 2 to 14) and mushroom with geysers. Pool depth ranges from 6 inches to 3½ feet.
Public swimming 7 a.m. to 11 p.m., $5 per person. Call ahead, especially on weekends.
- Best Western Kelly Inn and Suites, 1767 44th St. S., Fargo, (701) 282-2143
The Beaver Dam Playland has two waterslides, dumping buckets, water cannons, floating logs and beaver basketball. Pool depth ranges from 2 feet to 4½ feet.
- Courtyard by Marriott, 1080 28th Ave. S., Moorhead, (218) 284-1000
Kiddie pool, 6 inches to 18 inches deep, includes two small slides and splash fountains. Main pool is 3 feet to 5 feet and features a basketball hoop.
- Days Inn of Casselton, 2050 Governors Drive, Casselton, N.D., (701) 347-4524
The Governors’ Waterpark includes two pools. The kiddie pool is 6 inches to 1 foot in depth and features a five-level play structure. The main pool is 3 feet to 5 feet deep and includes a two-story waterslide, lily pad walk, volleyball and basketball nets. Food and drink service is available.
Public swimming is $9 per person, and includes access to a fitness center and indoor walking track.
- Expressway Suites, 4303 17th Ave. S., Fargo, (701) 239-4303
Pool includes commercial waterslide and rain tree. Depth ranges from 2½ to 4 ½ feet, with play and swim areas.
- Hampton Inn. 4776 Agassiz Crossing S., Fargo, (701) 356-8070
Pool is 6 inches to 3½ feet deep with a canoe-shaped waterslide, parrot water feature and basketball hoop.
- Holiday Inn, 3803 13th Ave. S., Fargo, (701) 282-2700
The hotel’s pirate-themed Shipwreck Bay features a pirate ship and slides. Depth is 13 inches to 4 feet. Food and drink service available. A construction project is planned for this spring to update the pool area.
- La Quinta Inn and Suites, 2355 46th St. S., Fargo, (701) 499-2000
Pool features zero-depth entry, a small slide (geared for kids 10 and under) and small waterfall. Maximum depth is 3½ feet.
- Ramada Plaza Suites, 1635 42nd St. S., Fargo, (701) 277-9000
Main pool is 3 feet to 5½ feet deep and features a 150-foot winding waterslide. Adjacent kiddie pool is 18 inches deep and includes mushroom fountain. Food and drink service available.
- Sunset Motel, 731 W. Main Ave., West Fargo, (701) 282-3266
Pool is 2 feet to 5 feet deep and features a 114-foot slide and mushroom fountain.
Public swimming is $3 for two hours (1 to 3 p.m., 4 to 6 p.m. or 7 to 9 p.m.) Call ahead on Saturday evenings.
If you’re looking for an out-of-town waterpark experience, here are a few noted indoor attractions across the region. Call ahead for hours of availability.
- Splasher’s of the South Seas, Canad Inns Destination Center, 1000 S. 42nd St., Grand Forks, N.D., (701) 772-8404, www.canadinns.com
A 40,000-square-foot waterpark featuring several slides, activity pools, a lazy river and play area with dump bucket. Concession stand, pizza and arcade games adjacent to waterpark.
Public admission is $16 ages 4 and up, $10 for hotel guests, $2 for spectators. Children 3 and younger free. Annual passes and cabana rentals available.
- Seven Clans Casino and Water Park, 20595 Center St. E., Thief River Falls, Minn., (800) 881-0712, www.sevenclanscasino.com
Four large waterslides, three mini-slides, a lazy river, shallow wading pool and swimming pool comprise this 40,000-square-foot waterpark.
Standard band pricing is $15 for walk-in guests, $10 for hotel guests and $5 for Red Lake members. Group rates are available.
- Northern Hideaway Indoor Waterpark, 300 Thumper Lodge Road, Ottertail, Minn., (218) 367-2000, www.thumperpond.com
More than 12,000-square-feet, including a three-story tower with two twisting slides (one body, one tube), a lazy river tube ride, activity pool, zero-entry toddler area with slides and geysers. Snack bar available.
General public admission rates $12.95 before 4 p.m. and $9.95 after 4 p.m. Age 2 and under free. A “dry pass” is $4.95.
- Arrowwood Resort and the Big Splash Indoor Waterpark, 2100 Arrowwood Lane N.W., Alexandria, Minn., (320) 762-1124, www.arrowwoodresort.com
Three four-story waterslides, a lazy river and children’s play fort with slides, water blasters, geysers and splash bucket are featured in this 38,000-square-foot tropical waterpark.
General admission passes range from $11.95 to $20.95 depending on day and time. Spectator passes are $5, on request.
- Best Western Plus Seven Seas Hotel and Waterpark, 2611 Old Red Trail, Mandan, N.D., (701) 663-7401, www.mandansevenseas.com
Waterpark features two slides, one that is 159 feet long, and kiddie pool with play features.
Public admission is $10 Sunday through Thursday, based on availability.