Police offer safety tips for vacationersFARGO – The Fargo Police Department has released the following crime prevention tips for those leaving town this summer:
By: Forum staff reports, INFORUM
FARGO – The Fargo Police Department has released the following crime prevention tips for those leaving town this summer:
• Lock your doors and windows.
• Make your home look occupied.
• Connect some lamps to automatic timers to turn them on in the evening and off during the day.
• Don’t allow daily deliveries of mail, newspapers or fliers to build up. Arrange with the post office to hold your mail, or have a friend or neighbor collect it regularly.
• Arrange for your lawn to be mowed.
• Check your locks on doors and windows and replace them with secure devices as necessary. Make sure you have deadbolt locks on all outside doors, and lock them.
• Brace sliding glass doors.
• Never leave keys under doormats, flowerpots, mailboxes or other secret hiding places.
• Keep a detailed inventory of your valuable possessions for free on myproperty.cityoffargo.
• Trim your shrubbery around your home to reduce cover for burglars.
• Install good exterior lighting such as motion sensor lights.
• Don’t announce your absence on answering machine messages.
• Consider installing a burglar alarm system.
• Notify a trusted neighbor or Neighborhood Watch Group of your absence so they can report suspicious behavior.
• Notify your beat sergeant of your absence and request extra patrol.