Romanus Blotsky Jr.Romanus Blotsky Jr. 96, Steele, ND died on December 12, 2012 at Sheyenne Crossing Care Center, West Fargo, ND. Ray Blotsky was born February 17, 1916 in Raleigh, ND, the son of Romanus Blotsky, Sr. and Bertha (Both) Blotsky. He was baptized on March 13, 1916 in St. Gertrude Catholic Church, Raleigh, ND.
In 1931 Ray joined the CCC, Civil Conservation Corps building dams, sidewalks, and roads in the mountains in Idaho. During the depression he worked for anyone who would give him a job. He signed up for the Army but was deferred as they were needed for farmers. (Soldiers on the Home Front) Ray married Agnes Winters on June 2, 1938 in Bismarck, ND. They farmed south of Raleigh until 1941, and worked on the Spicer Ranch north of Watauga, SD. They also farmed east of Shields, ND before moving outside of Shields where Ray operated a small Skelly Service Station for three years. In 1951 he moved his family to Steele, ND where he operated Ray’s Skelly Station on the corner of Old Highway 10 and US Highway #3. Ray also started the Skelly Oil Bulk Service and later purchased a Soft serve-Ice Cream truck with food and called it “Chicken Delight”. In 1973 his business moved to the north side of Interstate-94 and was called “The Rough-Rider Café Truck Stop” with an Indian Chief painted the on window of the restaurant Ray has always been known as “The Chief”. In 1978 Ray retired from the business.