This field stone memorial to the Sioux Indian victims at Whitestone Hill in 1863 was dedicated on July 4, 1942. Basil Two Bears, grandson of the Yanktonai chief at the conflict in 1863, accepted the plaque in the name of five Sioux tribes present. His granddaughter, Alberta Two Bears, unveiled the memorial and is shown standing near it. With Two Bears were, from left, Eugene Looking Horse and his mother, James All Yellow and his wife, and Frank Young Bear, whose mother was a child of 11 at the time of the soldiers’ attack.
Photos courtesy of the State Historical Society of North Dakota / Special to The Forum
Read the article: Was ND’s deadliest conflict, 150 years ago, a battle or a massacre?