Quick action saves house from significant damage by deck fire
FARGO—A fire on the deck of a home here could have been much worse, if not for the quick actions of a neighbor and resident.
Fargo firefighters responded at 6:35 p.m. on July 8 to a report of a back deck on fire at 6084 61st Ave. S.
According to a news release, a neighbor saw the flames and alerted the resident. The two used multiple garden hoses and a fire extinguisher to put the fire out.
When crews arrived, they saw the fire had been extinguished, but that flames had extended up the side of the home, damaging the siding and soffit. The damage was estimated at $12,000.
The fire department said the fire was started by improper disposal of smoking materials.
Firefighters remained on scene to check wall and attic spaces, to make sure flames hadn't reached those areas.
The Fargo Fire Department reminds people to extinguish smoking materials in a container that won't burn and to check their smoke detectors on a monthly basis.