Weather Forecast


West Fargo voters overwhelmingly approve $106.9 million referendum

Man arrested after nearly five-hour standoff near Horace

Lance Belgarde1 / 4
Photo by David Samson / Forum. 2 / 4
Photo by David Samson / Forum. 3 / 4
4 / 4

HORACE, N.D. – Authorities arrested a man at a home south of here after a nearly five-hour armed standoff that ended shortly after 10 a.m. Wednesday, March 14, according to Sgt. Tim Briggeman of the Cass County Sheriff’s Office.

The arrested man, 51-year-old Lance Belgarde of West Fargo, could face several charges, including terrorizing, burglary, felonious restraint and interfering with a 911 call, Briggeman said.

There was a gun in the home at 7108 100th Ave. S. during the standoff, but no shots were fired and no law enforcement officers were injured, the sergeant said.

Police received a call about 5:15 a.m. regarding an armed man who had threatened two people in the home. Those individuals later escaped unharmed. It remained unclear Wednesday how the man is related, if at all, to the people who escaped the home.

Shortly after 7:50 a.m., the Red River Valley SWAT Team’s armored Bearcat vehicle joined at least two dozen marked and unmarked law enforcement vehicles at the scene. Moments later, law enforcement officials began moving closer to the home.

A SWAT negotiator and three large SWAT vehicles were also present. About 10 a.m., Belgarde opened the door of the home and spoke with officers.

Belgarde “initiated the conversation” with the SWAT negotiator, followed directions and “was taken into custody very peacefully,” Briggeman said.

Briggeman said he did not know if the man had a weapon or weapons when he entered the home, or if he obtained a weapon in the home.

Authorities declined to identify the people who escaped the home. Cass County property tax records list the home’s owner as Kimberly A. Belgarde. Cass County divorce records indicate that a Kimberly Belgarde and a Lance Belgarde divorced in fall 2016.

A CodeRED phone alert was issued Wednesday morning to residents in the 7100 block of 100th Avenue South. The alert advised residents to shelter in place and recommended they stay in a basement or secure room until further notice. Briggeman said some residents were evacuated from the area by law enforcement.

After the standoff ended, the CodeRED alert was lifted and residents were able to return to their homes.