For the contractors (in and out of state) offering their services or products to flood victims, we issued an advisory reminding that they must be properly licensed in North Dakota before they, or their subcontractors, begin any work.
Info from The Minnesota Department of Labor and Industry
Before hiring a contractor, call DLI at (651) 284-5069 or 1-800-657-3944 to verify the contractor is licensed and to learn if there is a history of disciplinary action. Homeowners can also perform a contractor License Lookup.
Before you hire a contractor, DLI suggests homeowners ask:
- for the contractor's license number, then contact the CCLD Enforcement unit at DLI to verify the builder is currently licensed and to determine if the contractor has a disciplinary history;
- the contractor how long and where they have been in business;
- for references and check with former customers to see if they were satisfied with the work;
- for a Minnesota business address other than a post office box; and
- for a local phone number where the contractor can be reached during normal business hours.