Readers Board Info
Forum Readers Board seeks six new members
The Forum is seeking to fill six seats on its Readers Board, a group of local residents who provide the newspaper with feedback.
Members meet monthly to discuss news issues and newspaper policies, suggest story ideas, and debate ethical situations involving the newsroom.
In June, volunteers on the board will select six members. The board values diversity – members come from different communities, range in age from high school students to retirees, and have varied life experiences.
If you are interested, send a letter about yourself that includes your name, age, city of residence, occupation and any other information you would like to share. Also, please include a paragraph about why you are interested in serving on the board to:
The Forum, Attn: Angie Wieck, PO Box 2020, Fargo, ND 58107, or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org. If you have questions, call Angie at (701) 241-5501.
The deadline to apply is June 4.
General information about the Readers Board
General duties of members:
- Volunteer members meet monthly to discuss news issues and newspaper policies, suggest story ideas, and debate ethical situations involving the newsroom.
- The board values diversity – members come from different communities, range in age from high school students to retirees, and have varied life experiences.
- Generally most members are required to invest 1 ½ hours for each monthly meeting and less than 30 minutes for reading meeting materials. Over and above that, a member’s daily duties are to read The Forum in print and/or online and provide feedback.
- Active dialogue is encouraged at all meetings.
- Attendance at meetings is of high importance for a productive Readers Board.
- Meetings are held the second Tuesday of each month.
- Meetings are held in the third-floor conference of The Forum at 101 5th Street North, Fargo.
- Meetings start at 4:30 p.m. and are scheduled to end by 6:00 p.m.
- The Forum’s editor and public editor will attend, assist and help lead the process and discussion as appropriate.
- Meetings are chaired by a member of the Readers Board on a rotational basis. Members are asked to volunteer for this opportunity.
- Please contact the public editor if you are unable to attend.
- Meeting notes are taken by the public editor, and a summary is sent out to Readers Board members each month. Those notes, including members’ thoughts and concerns, are also shared with applicable Forum staff.
- Meeting times, dates and locations are subject to change as needed.
- Golden Pen nominations are sent out to members in advance of the meeting.
A. Standing topics:
- Story ideas.
- Comments on recent papers.
- Selection of a Golden Pen Award.
- Typically, a special guest from The Forum will be invited each month to share information about what they do for The Forum. Those selected will come from suggestions from Readers Board members and/or the editor or public editor of The Forum.
- Topic items are requested for future meetings.
Time commitment of board members:
- Monthly meetings of approximately 1 ½ hours.
- Efforts to read the print and/or online newspaper are essential to the value that board members bring.
- New members will tour The Forum prior to their first meeting, which requires less than one hour of time.
- Less than 30 minutes per month is required for the reading of meeting materials.