Tran is an enterprise reporter with the Forum of Fargo-Moorhead. He began his newspaper career in 1999 as a reporter for the Grand Forks Herald, now owned by Forum Communications. He began working for the Forum in September 2014. Tran grew up in Seattle and graduated from the University of Washington.
- Member for
- 5 years 7 months
FARGO — Anger at costly special assessments levied to pay for streets and sewers have inspired three more city candidates--Linda Boyd, Kelan Oster and Arlette Preston--to weigh in with plans for reform. Boyd said in a news release Monday, May 14, that she wants the city to pay for 70 percent of the cost of a project and use specials on the remaining 30 percent. Mayor Tim Mahoney, who's running unopposed, and candidate Tim Flakoll have said they favor this approach, which the city had used until switching over to a 50-50 split a few years ago.
FARGO — Despite two studies funded by this city and discussion in the business community for the better part of a decade, the ongoing quest by some to build a new metro convention center seems to have lost its way. Fargo's mayor recently said it's no longer a priority for him. "I would say to the Chamber, 'Why don't you guys figure that out?'" Mayor Tim Mahoney recently told The Forum's Editorial Board, citing the higher priority for a downtown performing arts center and limits to the city's spending.
FARGO – A Forum journalist who covered a deadly downtown fistfight has been called to testify by prosecutors in the June 19 trial of Darren Scott Patterson, according to a subpoena served to him Thursday, May 10.
FARGO – There are now three plans to reform the city’s unloved special assessments system, including a new proposal from Tim Flakoll, a candidate for Fargo City Commission.
FARGO — From energy-efficient LED lights, to redundant computer networks, to Kevlar protection for city commissioners in their chamber, architect Terry Stroh was practically giddy as he ticked off the features of the new City Hall building. City staff and the public will love the new space, he said on a recent tour of the building. "I can't wait until they get in there."
FARGO — A law that forbids bars and restaurants from serving drinks to an "obviously intoxicated person" will get easier to enforce under proposed changes by Police Chief David Todd, city leaders heard at their meeting Monday night, May 7. The 2003 law now requires that this act not only be seen by a police officer but at least one "corroborating witness."
FARGO — A fire at a southside apartment displaced two residents Saturday, May 5, according to the Fire Department. Battalion Chief Jason Ness said no one was injured but one second-floor apartment unit at 2545 14th St. S. was damaged after the fire was put out. Firefighters arrived Saturday night to a report of smoke coming from a second floor window, he said. They found the fire outside by a deck and were able to put it out with a portable extinguisher only to find it had spread into the floor space between the first and second floors, he said.
FARGO — The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers may spend $35 million in fiscal year 2018 on the Fargo-Moorhead flood diversion, Sen. John Hoeven, R-N.D., said Thursday, May 3. That's about how much work the corps thinks it can get done this year and how much he's been pressing it to do, he said in a briefing he gave to the Diversion Authority. He said the Office of Management and Budget still has to vet the spending plan, but it does have the support of the corps' commander, Lt. Gen Todd Semonite.
FARGO — On the tile floor of what was once a home-improvement store here is a 120-foot-long area covered with netting where baseball players can replicate throwing from about second base to home plate. Mike Skogen, owner of the Ball Yard indoor practice facility, said he managed to squeeze into the 16,000-square-foot space another 11 practice cages for pitching and batting, three with pitching simulators.
FARGO — A couple of weeks ago, Greg Danz and several other downtown denizens complained to city leaders about the growing number of bars in the area — and the public drunkenness and fights that come with those establishments. The City Commission was mulling a liquor license for a new bar, and the protesters wanted the city to first hold existing bars accountable.