After 100 days in Sanford's COVID unit, young Cass County man goes home

A man from Page, N.D., spent 100 days in Sanford's Health's COVID-19 unit. For weeks, he was on a ventilator. Now, he's home after an emotional exit from the hospital.

We are part of The Trust Project.

FARGO — After spending 100 days in Sanford Health's COVID-19 Unit, on Thursday, Aug. 12, Brady Munro was up early. He was packed and ready to finally go home.

"I was up at 4 a.m.; I couldn't fall asleep," Munro said. "I was so anxious to get out of here at this point."

It was a day he only dreamed about a month ago. He knew he had COVID-19 in early April.

"I remember going to the emergency room after five days at home trying to ride it out," Munro said.

A trip to the emergency room turned into a 100-day stay on the COVID-19 floor. He spent three months on a ventilator.


"I remember at that point it was hazy," Munro recalled. "When I went down, I went down fast."

A lot of the experience is a blur, as the days of battling COVID-19 turned into weeks and months.

"There were several times when we did not think he was coming home," said Brady Munro's mom, Patty Munro. "Some ICU nurses who had him told us they weren't sure he would leave the COVID floor."

Doctors, nurses and respiratory therapists like Logan Bailey became like family. They were his biggest cheerleaders and challengers because they knew how hard he fought to get to this day.

"I am in my late 20s, and to see a guy who is 23 fight for his life and pretty much be at the end means of life support, you wanted to do everything you could do to help," Bailey said. "There aren't words to describe seeing him today. It is not only why you work as a respiratory therapist, but humans are humans. You just want to help people."

"My lungs were so weak when I got here, I couldn't even get through my name and date of birth in one breath. I had to take a breath halfway through," Munro said. "Then, one day, I was able to get through it in one breath and I thought, 'Holy Cow, my lungs are getting better.'"

Brady Munro said he got his strength back by "just doing PT and OT, just working them."

For family and medical staff to see that determination and fight, it was a sure thing that his hospital discharge would come with cheers and fanfare. After 128 days of COVID-19 and rehab, Brady Munro left the hospital to the sound of applause.


Doctors and nurses lined the hallways, giving a moving and powerful goodbye. Students from Northern Cass joined friends and family who had not seen Brady in months.

This was not just a goodbye with gusto, this was celebrating Brady Munro's survival.

Brady is engaged and will be married next fall. After seeing all the people who helped save him, he said, his invite list just got a lot longer.

A fund has been set up to pay for Munro's medical expenses. Cash or check gifts payable to "Brady Munro Medical Fund" can be sent to:

Dakota Heritage Bank

P.O. Box 268

Hunter, N.D. 58408


Kevin Wallevand has been a Reporter at WDAY-TV since 1983. He is a native of Vining, Minnesota in Otter Tail County. His series and documentary work have brought him to Africa, Vietnam, Haiti, Kosovo, South America, Mongolia, Juarez,Mexico and the Middle East. He is an multiple Emmy and national Edward R. Murrow award recipient.

Contact Email:
Phone Number: (701) 241-5317
What to read next