1 Million Cups canceled Wednesday, annual 1 Million Thanks event to go on as scheduled Thursday
FARGO -- Due to the extreme cold, 1 Million Cups Fargo has canceled its weekly meeting Wednesday, Jan. 30, at the Stage at Island Park.
The organization's annual 1 Million Thanks event planned for 6 p.m. Thursday, Jan. 31, at the Fargo Air Museum is expected to go on as scheduled.
Each year, Emerging Prairie and a selection committee identifies individuals and organizations that made a significant impact in the startup community over the past year. This year's recipients are:
- Rookie of the Year: Sadiyo Hassan. While in high school, Hassan was part of a winning Startup Weekend team and also co-founded the tech company Rising Tide Software. In 2018, she gave a talk at TEDxFargo about how to solve the nationwide emergency response crises.
- Dr. David Wells Belief Award: Roger Larson. The award is given to an individual who believes in the potential of entrepreneurs and the difference they can make in the community. Larson is a regular volunteer at Emerging Prairie and 1 Million Cups events. He also mentors with SCORE, a nonprofit organization that provides free business mentoring services to small business owners.
- Social Impact Award: F5 Project. The award is given to an individual or organization that has demonstrated the ability to positively impact the community for social change. The F5 Project is a nonprofit organization that assists individuals with criminal backgrounds find employment, housing and other assistance.
- Team Player Award: Kilbourne Group. This award is given to an organization whose teammates contribute in meaningful ways to support the startup community.
- Startup of the Year Award: Aldevron. The award is given to an organization that is demonstrating significant growth and success beyond our region. Aldevron is a recognized leader in advancing biological science.
The awards ceremony will feature hors d'oeuvres, live music, an awards ceremony and a signature champagne toast to award recipients. For more information or to purchase tickets, visit 1millionthanks2019.eventbrite.com .
1 Million Cups will return Wednesday, Feb. 6, with presentations from Erik Hatch of Hatch Realty and Hukun Abdullahi from the Afro American Development Association.