FARGO — The Home Builders Association of Fargo-Moorhead’s 60th annual Spring Parade of Homes will be held in June despite the coronavirus pandemic.
Darrick Guthmiller, of Kochmann Brothers Homes and president of the Home Builders Association of Fargo-Moorhead, said precautions will be taken to prevent the spread of the virus when 43 homes by 26 builders, scattered over four communities, are showcased the first three weekends of June, plus Mondays.
“Everything is moving forward,” Guthmiller said, “and we felt there’s no reason why we can’t keep moving forward. The [West Acres] mall is open, and all these things are open now.”
Guthmiller said the association’s board voted to move forward with the Spring Parade of Homes. They reached out to individual builders, and while some gave the tour a pass this year, a majority wanted to hold the spring event. He also noted Sioux Falls, S.D., and the Twin Cities are doing their parades, as well.
“We were looking at what other people are doing, too,” Guthmiller said, “and seeing what their protocols are."
Guthmiller said local mayors were also receptive to their plans and safety protocols.
Homes range in price from $214,900 to $990,000. The site tours will showcase a variety of homes for those 55-plus, first-time buyers, people needing more space or wanting to downsize, and will include smart, green and multigenerational homes.
Kimberly Krueger Tehan, who does marketing and business development for Krueger Construction, sits on the association’s board, and also has three homes on the tour this year.
“I think everybody is cautiously optimistic,” Krueger Tehan said.
The Spring Parade of Homes was slated for May, but was postponed a month due to the coronavirus.
“I think it’s good that the parade is moving forward,” she said.
She also said there’s reason for optimism, especially given the safety precautions in place. People seem to be adapting to the pandemic, she said, as the area opens up “more and more.”
“The market is strong in the Fargo area,” Krueger Tehan said.
The Home Builders Association of Fargo-Moorhead is requiring all event participants showing a home to take the following steps to prevent the spread of COVID-19:
- Those working the home must be feeling well and will be required to wear a face mask
- No more than 10 people will be allowed in a home at one time. This includes staff working the home plus attendees. Builders with homes with lower square footage are encouraged to allow even fewer people inside to maintain 6-foot social distancing guidelines
- Waiting areas outside each home will be marked with lines on the ground for people to wait at least 6 feet apart before entering
- There will be one way in, and a separate way out, of homes to maintain social distancing guidelines
- Builders will be encouraged to leave lights on and open all doors to minimize contamination
- Frequently touched areas such as countertops, door knobs, stair rails, display areas, etc. will be cleaned and disinfected often
Event attendees are asked to:
- Stay home if you are sick. Those displaying COVID-19 symptoms may not be granted access to the home. You can contact the builder to set up a private showing when you are better, if the home is available
- Not participate if you are a senior citizen and/or a person with a compromised immune system due to risk of infection
- Maintain 6-foot social distancing guidelines while waiting to enter the home and while touring the home (including following any signs or instructions posted at a home)
- Refrain from touching surfaces in the home as much as possible
- Wear shoe covers that will be provided at each home. Please dispose of them after each home
- Wear a face mask while in the home
- Bring hand sanitizer to use between home tours
Admission is free. Register to attend the event at paradefm.com and print out a ticket with a QR code or have it available on a mobile device.