Square One fire blamed on oily rags
FARGO--Oily rags in a garbage can are being blamed for a fire that heavily damaged the Square One Rental Kitchen & Event Center in Fargo in February.
FARGO-Oily rags in a garbage can are being blamed for a fire that heavily damaged the Square One Rental Kitchen & Event Center in Fargo in February.
Fargo Fire Marshal Ryan Erickson said the fire started in a garbage can containing rags that had soaked up oil.
He said when certain oils come into contact with certain natural fibers and oxygen they will interact chemically, causing heat. If that heat has nowhere to escape, it can build to the point where the fibers reach their ignition temperature and start on fire.
The Square One building at 1407 1st Ave. N. has been empty since the fire, but the owners of the business have said they are rebuilding.
For now, the business has set up in a temporary location at the Plains Art Museum.
Erickson said the fire caused an estimated $100,000 worth of damage to the Square One building and about $50,000 worth of damage to various contents.