Pioneer spirit alive at annual Sodbuster Days
FORT RANSOM, N.D. - Rediscover the area's pioneer heritage at Sodbuster Days this weekend at Fort Ransom State Park. Katie Ledin, Fort Ransom State Park Interpreter, said the 28th annual festival highlights horse-powered farmwork at the turn of t...
FORT RANSOM, N.D. - Rediscover the area's pioneer heritage at Sodbuster Days this weekend at Fort Ransom State Park.
Katie Ledin, Fort Ransom State Park Interpreter, said the 28th annual festival highlights horse-powered farmwork at the turn of the 20th century.
Saturday's events include a pie auction at 4 p.m., meatball dinner at 6 p.m. and live old-time music from 8 to 10 p.m. A 7 a.m. breakfast, 10:30 a.m. parade and 2 p.m. pioneer-style show highlight Sunday.
Various events, including a wheelwright at noon, horse-powered fieldwork at 1 p.m. and other farm and household events will be held both days.
Mary Johnson of the Sodbuster Association said events this year are similar to years past but will feature new attractions including depictions of era clothing.
"The pioneers that came here, they had to go through a lot in order to establish the community, in order to establish their homes," she said. "It's important for kids to know their roots, and it's something to be proud of."
Admission is $5 for adults; children 12 and younger get in free. Demonstrations and events are open 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturday and 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Sunday.
Other festivals in the area include:
- Eighth Street Art Show and Sale, Wednesday and Thursday: Check out artwork from 40 regional artists, including paintings, pottery, jewelry, glass, metal, clothing, photography and more on the corner of 13th Avenue and Eighth Street in Fargo from 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. Call (701) 729-1801 for details.
- Red River Valley Fair, Friday through July 16: Head to West Fargo for the fair, Wednesday through July 16 from 10 a.m. to midnight every day. Admission for 5 and younger is free; ages 6-11 is $3; 12 and older is $7. Call (800) 456-6408 for details.
- Northwest Water Carnival, Friday through July 17: Check out Detroit Lakes Friday through July 17 for an array of water adventures, culminating in the Parade of the Northwest July 17 at 1 p.m. Call (218) 234-9905 for details.
- Pelican Rapids Pelican Fest, Friday through Saturday: Enjoy a fun-filled weekend in downtown Pelican Rapids. For more information, call (218) 863-7076.
- Phelps Mill Art Festival, Saturday through Sunday: Browse artistry, enjoy food and bring the family for children's activities at Phelps Mill Park in Battle Lake. Admission is $3 for adults; children 12 and younger get in free. Call (218) 739-5377 for more information.
- Cormorant Area Art Show and Sale, Saturday through Sunday: Grab the family and go to Cormorant for the show and sale from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. in the Cormorant Community Center. Call (218) 844-7784 for details.
- Annual Ice Cream Social, Sunday: Enjoy delicious ice cream while listening to live music at the Myra Museum and Campbell House in Grand Forks. For details, go to www.grandforkshistory.com , or call (701) 775-2216 for details.
- Water Carnival Family Day, Sunday: Bring the family to Young Life Worship in the Detroit Lakes City Park for a picnic, face painting, turtle racing, frog jumping and other family activities. For details, call (218) 234-1838.
Readers can reach Forum reporter Josie Clarey at (701) 241-5529