Mark your calendar for this week's holidays — some a little out of the ordinary, others containing important reminders.
Friday, March 29, marks National Vietnam War Veterans Day, a day to thank and honor our nation's Vietnam veterans and their families for their service and sacrifice.
Here are some facts about Vietnam veterans:
- The U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs considers the Vietnam era to run from Feb. 28, 1961 to May 7, 1975, but National Vietnam War Veterans Day chooses to honor all who served from 1955 to 1975.
- Approximately 9 million Americans served during that 20-year time period.
- About 7 million are still alive today.
- Approximately 2.7 million U.S. service members served in Vietnam.
- 58,000 names are memorialized on the Vietnam War Memorial Wall in Washington, D.C.
- 304,000 people were wounded.
- 1,253 were missing in action.
- 2,500 were prisoners of war.
Other holidays this week
- Monday, March 25: Medal of Honor Day
- Tuesday, March 26: American Diabetes Association Alert Day
- Wednesday, March 27: Spanish Paella Day
- Thursday, March 28: Something on a Stick Day
- Friday, March 29: Mom & Pop Business Owner's Day
- Saturday, March 30: Turkey Neck Soup Day
- Sunday, March 31: Bunsen Burner Day