MOORHEAD-A 38-year-old man who suffered an apparent heroin overdose Wednesday evening, March 23, survived the ordeal after he was given the overdose reversal drug Narcan by paramedics.
The incident was reported about 11:30 p.m. at a residence in south Moorhead, said Moorhead police Lt. Tory Jacobson.
He said the victim collapsed and stopped breathing due to a suspected overdose of heroin and his life was likely saved after F-M Ambulance paramedics administered Narcan.
The man was taken to Sanford Medical Center in Fargo.
Jacobson said the incident meets the requirements of the good Samaritan law and neither the person who called for help nor the victim will face prosecution connected to the drug use.
As required by the law, the first person who sought medical help remained on the scene and cooperated by providing their contact information, Jacobson said, and police consider the case to be closed.
Wednesday's incident was the fourth reported drug overdose in Moorhead in the past seven days.
In two of the previous cases, the administration of Narcan was enough to save lives.
In one case, Ahmad Gardi, 20, of Moorhead died after family members found him unresponsive Tuesday evening. Although Narcan was given to him, Gardi was later pronounced dead at a local hospital.
Gardi's death was the believed to be the fourth overdose-related death in the Fargo-Moorhead area in recent weeks.