ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

4 pets rescued after candle sparks Minot house fire

"In the U.S. 36% of all candle fires are due to leaving it unattended," fire officials said in a statement.

FSA House fire.jpg

MINOT, N.D. — Firefighters here saved four pets and a house from a blaze started by an unattended candle Monday, Nov. 22, according to the Minot Fire Department.

Fire crews were dispatched to the fire Monday morning at 315 16th St. SW.

Three engines and one command vehicle were sent to the home. The first engine got there within three minutes of the call, the fire department said.

When crews arrived, they found smoke coming from the basement of the house. Firefighters managed to access a room of the house and quickly brought the flames under control, fire officials said.

The homeowners escaped safely, and they reported that three cats and a dog were missing. All four pets were found unharmed.

ADVERTISEMENT

Minot fire officials determined an unattended candle was the source of the fire. They used Monday's blaze as a reminder to the public of the dangers of leaving candles unwatched.

"In the U.S. 36% of all candle fires are due to leaving it unattended. It is important to always monitor burning candles," the fire department said in a statement.

What To Read Next
A select rundown of stories found on InForum.
Neil Joseph Pfeifer was released Friday, Feb. 3, on $5,000 cash bail.
State lawmakers hear from both sides as parents and educators weigh in on the potential impact of the bill
Fundraising is underway to move the giant ball of twine from the Highland, Wisconsin, home of creator James Frank Kotera, who died last month at age 75, 44 years after starting the big ball.