FARGO - A call from a neighbor might have made all the difference in a fire that broke out shortly after midnight at a Fargo home.
According to a Fargo Fire Department press release, firefighters responded to a blaze at a dwelling on San Juan Drive South after a neighboring resident saw that the deck of the home was on fire and called in for help early Sunday, Sept. 10. After phoning the fire department, the neighbor then alerted the occupants of the home, all of whom safely evacuated the structure.
Before firefighters arrived on scene, the neighbor and one of those occupants attempted to no avail to put out the fire, which eventually spread to the front deck and exterior of the home.
A propane gas grill at the home also caught on fire at some point and began releasing flammable gas. Once on-scene, a crew of 16 firefighters on four engines, one ladder truck and a command vehicle were able to quickly put out the flames and secure the propane tank.
The fire is still under investigation. Fargo Fire reminds everyone to check their smoke detectors monthly and to be sure all family members know how to exit their home in case of fire.