Oven fire causes evacuation at Fargo women's shelter

FARGO — There were no injuries during a small fire that caused an evacuation at the YWCA Cass Clay Emergency Shelter on South University Drive at around 9 p.m. on Monday night. Women and children stood outside and waited for the okay to go back inside.

Fargo Fire Department Battalion Chief Jason Ness said an oven fire started after someone selected the self clean option on the appliance, igniting food residue left inside.

Smoke from the fire activated the shelter's fire alarm system and everyone was able to evacuate. "They were out for maybe about five minutes and went right back in," Ness said.

The front glass pane of the oven burst after fire crews hauled it outside to avoid further smoke or injuries.

There were no injuries to residents or fire crews and damage was confined to the oven.