FARGO — A North Dakota State University student has claimed he found a dead mouse in his drink after visiting a north Fargo McDonald's, although a company spokeswoman said the city's health department has found nothing to substantiate the claim.

Landen Brocato, a freshman from Langdon, N.D., told The Forum he bought a caramel frappe at the store late Thursday night, Nov. 7, and drank part of it before setting it down on a table by his bedside at his dormitory.

He said he noticed something "dark" in the bottom of the drink that night but thought it was just the caramel syrup.

Brocato, a marketing major, said he didn't finish the drink because he had to get to bed as he works an early shift at the airport and had to be there at 5 a.m.

WDAY logo
listen live
watch live

When he returned from work Friday, he said the dead mouse had floated to the top of what was left in the drink.

"It's been pretty rough," he said about his day when contacted by phone Friday night. "It's disgusting."

He took the drink back to the McDonald's store at 1220 19th Ave N., talked to a manager there and received a refund.

Brocato said he was also asked to make a statement. He posted photos on Facebook, called the McDonald's corporate office and also the Fargo Cass Public Health office.

He said because the drink was blended, it didn't make much sense that the mouse was in the bottom of the cup. He said the McDonald's manager thought the same thing.

Brocato also said he didn't think the mouse got into the cup in his dorm room because it was covered by a domed lid and was high up on his bedside table, which would have made it almost impossible for the mouse to climb up there.

The owner and operator of the McDonald's, Kevin Cook Jr., said he was looking at footage from a camera in the restaurant.

"I don't know anything; I can't comment yet," he said. "I'm trying to figure out if there is any nonsense going on there."

In a later statement issued on Cook's behalf, spokeswoman Anne Christensen of the corporate office of McDonald's released a statement in Cook's behalf that said, "serving high quality food to my customers is a top priority. We took this claim seriously and partnered with the health department to investigate. There was nothing found to substantiate this claim and the health department has closed its file.”"