Camper being pulled by family near Medora catches fire



MEDORA, N.D. -- A family had a scary encounter Thursday morning in Medora after the RV they were driving caught fire.

Billings County Fire Chief Kyle Shockley said while the case is still under investigation, it is believed that the vehicle that was in tow behind the camper may have been left in gear as the family left the RV park. This may have caused the transmission to overheat and causing the car to start on fire, which led to the camper fire.

Shockley said the family made it out OK and no injuries were reported. The family was able to get the RV parked in a wider section of the road, so there was no grass fires for firefighters to contend with.

The car and the camper are both considered to be a total loss of $115,000, Shockley said.

What To Read Next
Get Local