The family of the 5-year-old boy thrown from a third-floor balcony at the Mall of America earlier this month said he was “alert and conscious” Friday, April 26.
A written statement, released by the family’s attorney, said 5-year-old Landen was no longer in critical condition.
“We are now turning our focus to additional surgeries, healing, rehabilitation and eventually a return home, which we hope will happen by June,” the statement added.
A GoFundMe benefit fund set up for Landen had exceeded its $1 million goal by Friday afternoon. The statement from the family — who have asked for privacy — also thanked the more than 28,000 people who donated.
“We have no idea where we would be without you — God and your prayers have sustained us,” the statement said.
Landen suffered broken bones in both his arms and legs as well as significant head trauma from the fall at the Bloomington mall, according to Hennepin County authorities.
Emmanuel Aranda, 24, of Minneapolis, was charged with attempted premeditated first-degree murder in Hennepin County District Court in the attack.
Prosecutors say that on April 12, Aranda walked up to the boy and his mother near the mall’s third-floor Rainforest Cafe, picked the boy up without a word and threw him over the balcony. Landen fell about 40 feet. Aranda fled and was later arrested.
Aranda, who had no connection to Landen or his family, told police he was angry about being rejected by women at the Mall of America and was “looking for someone to kill.”
In 2015, Aranda was temporarily banned from the mall for throwing water in a woman’s face and destroying property.
If Aranda is convicted of the most recent charges, prosecutors intend to pursue a longer sentence based on the aggravating factors of particular cruelty, the vulnerability of the boy and committing the violent act in front of other children and the victim’s mother.