FARGO — Fargo police are asking for the public's help in locating Nathanael Ray Benton, 23, Fargo, who was charged Monday, Nov. 2, with attempted murder for allegedly shooting someone in the head.
According to Fargo police:
An arrest warrant was issued for Benton on Monday after he was charged in Cass County District Court with one count of attempted murder.
Benton is accused in a court complaint of shooting an individual in the head with a firearm on or about Sunday, Nov. 1.
Police said they have reason to believe Benton is armed and poses a threat to public safety.
They are asking anyone with information about Benton not to approach him, but instead to call 911. Police said information may also be submitted as an anonymous tip by texting FARGOPD and a tip to 847411.
According to police, at about 2:30 a.m. on Sunday, a man contacted dispatch stating he thought he had been shot.
He was located in the 100 block of Roberts Street North by the downtown fire station.
The man was taken to a local hospital where medical personnel found bullet fragments in his head.
Police initially said they thought the shooting happened in Moorhead, but later determined that wasn't the case.
The incident was one of several shootings reported to Fargo police Halloween night.
The first involved a 23-year-old man with a gunshot wound who walked up to a Fargo hospital at around 11 p.m. Saturday.
Police said in a Facebook post the man was not cooperative with investigators and that his injuries were not life-threatening.
About 20 minutes later, officers responded to a report of gunshots near the 2400 block of 18th Street South. Officers found a vehicle with bullet holes near the Burger King on South University Drive and four people were found inside the vehicle.
Police believe none of the people found in the vehicle had been hurt.
At about 12:43 a.m. Sunday, another report of someone with gunshot wounds came in — this one in north Fargo in the 800 block of 12th Street, east of the Family Fare on University Drive.
Police found a man with a gunshot wound to the abdomen and the man was taken to a hospital. His condition was not available Monday, but police said the injury was not life-threatening.
A police spokeswoman said Monday that case appeared to involve an accidental discharge of a firearm and a report was forwarded to the Cass County State’s Attorney’s Office for review.