UPDATE: Grand Forks County Department to release more information about officer-involved shooting

Very few details have been made available following an officer-involved shooting Sunday afternoon in rural Grand Forks County.

Grand Forks County Sheriff’s deputies responded to a vehicle that had broken down on U.S. Highway 2 about 1:50 p.m. Sunday just north of Arvilla, N.D.

Two deputies made contact with a lone male driver of the vehicle who displayed a firearm, according to a press release from the department.

Shots were fired and the man was injured. The man was transported to Altru Hospital in Grand Forks.

When reached Monday morning, Grand Forks County Chief David Stromberg declined to comment further on the shooting. However, the department is planning to release more information about the shooting, including the names of the deputies and the man who was injured, later today or Tuesday, he said.

Stromberg said there was an unrelated call Saturday night involving the man who was injured. Stromberg declined to offer details about what that call involved, just saying the call was unrelated to Sunday’s events.

Area officer-involved shootings

This is the third officer-involved shooting in the area in less than a year.

On July 5, 2018, Devils Lake officers responded to reports of a man breaking into homes in a trailer park in Devils Lake.

Daniel Fuller, 26, was unarmed when he was shot in the back of the head by Detective Brandon Potts after running from officers who were responding to the call, according to a summary report by Ramsey County State’s Attorney Kari Agotness.

The report said Fuller lunged at Potts, who attempted to defend himself by hitting Fuller with a pistol “three or four times” before the weapon fired. The gun did not malfunction but went off when Potts pulled the trigger. The inadvertent discharge was attributed to involuntary muscular contraction, the report said.

Agotness did not charge Potts in the shooting. The case is now being investigated by the FBI. However, the timeline on the investigation, which could take months or even years, has not been made public.

Potts remains on paid administrative leave.

On July 8, 2018, two Grand Forks police officers shot and killed 41-year-old John Francis Murphy III.

The officers, Cpl. Jordan Drees and Officer Michael Ruit, responded shortly after 3 a.m. that morning to the 2200 block of South 22nd Street for a report of a suicidal subject with a firearm.

Murphy did not fire his weapon but refused to obey commands from the officers, according to a July news release. Officers discharged their firearms in response to a “perceived threat posed by the armed subject,” the law enforcement agency said.

The officers were not charged in the case.