FARGO — A woman has been arrested in connection with a fire at a south Fargo apartment house, and she's suspected of breaking into a nearby home while armed with a taser, according to police.

Firefighters were dispatched to a structure fire at 102 14th St. S. at 10:36 p.m. Tuesday, July 23.

A man and two juveniles were forced to evacuate the building by jumping out a window on the first floor, Fargo police said in a Facebook post.

Firefighters had to rescue a man from the top floor of the building because his unit and the main stairwell were too hot and filled with smoke, police said.

Charring above a doorway can be seen at an apartment building at 102 14th St. S. in Fargo, where a fire was reported at 10:36 p.m. Tuesday, July 23. Robin Huebner / The Forum
Charring above a doorway can be seen at an apartment building at 102 14th St. S. in Fargo, where a fire was reported at 10:36 p.m. Tuesday, July 23. Robin Huebner / The Forum

WDAY logo
listen live
watch live
Newsletter signup for email alerts

A tenant living in the basement of the building was able to escape his apartment, and he tried to put out the flames. No one was hurt in the blaze, police said.

Later that night, at 11:47 p.m., Fargo police responded to a 911 disturbance call at a home across the street. The homeowners said they were awoken by a female intruder wielding a taser.

"The female woke the residents by standing in their bedroom doorway and sparking her Taser," police said on Facebook.

"My girlfriend woke up to a crackling noise," said Aaron Fatland, who was asleep when the woman entered his house. "She didn't steal anything, thank God, and nobody got hurt, but it was definitely very startling."

Fatland said he and his girlfriend later learned the woman was "hanging out" in their basement drinking beers and smoking cigarettes for about 15 minutes before coming to their bedroom.

Officers arrested Rebecca Lou Colonna, 26, on suspicion of endangerment by fire, burglary, terrorizing and attempted assault of a peace officer. Colonna has no permanent address.

Fire officials estimated the building sustained about $15,000 in damage.