Sections

Weather Forecast

Close

Dryer fire destroys Wahpeton home, displacing family of six

The Wahpeton, N.D., Fire Department works Monday night, March 12, 2018, to put out a house fire caused by an electric dryer. Brett Lambrecht / Special to the Forum

WAHPETON, N.D. — A dryer fire destroyed a Wahpeton home late Monday, March 12, leaving little to salvage.

The Wahpeton Fire Department got a report of a house fire at 11:30 p.m. Monday at 606 10 ½ St. N.

Richland County Emergency Management Director Brett Lambrecht said all residents were able to escape the house before crews arrived. Firefighters worked to put out the fire for four hours, getting assistance from the Wahpeton Police Department.

"Fire units arrived to heavy smoke and flames coming from the front of the house," said Lambrecht. "The house looks to be a total loss."

The residence was the home of Doug and Michele Soukup and their four children. None of them were injured, and the family is currently being assisted by the American Red Cross.

Advertisement