A representative with the City of West Fargo adds details to explain the causes of two structure fires that occurred Wednesday, March 25, including the approximate cost of damages.

The apartment fire at Parkwest Gardens, 1104 Second St. E., was caused by unattended cooking and categorized as an accident. Damages to the apartment are estimated to be $5,000. T

The family who lived in the apartment are now displaced and will continue to receive help from the American Red Cross.

Then the garage fire in the 100 block of C Street caused about $30,000 worth of damage, city officials say. West Fargo police said this fire was intentionally started, and a man inside the burning garage threatened to shoot officers if they approached him.

Officers were able to make entry to the garage to rescue the man from the burning building. This man was taken to the hospital and is expected to be charged in connection to the fire, police say.