GRAND FORKS — Brandie Baker walked around the Ambassador Motel with her daughter, Taylor Monday, April 26.

"Something may have survived," said Brandie Baker as she walked around the Ambassador Motel.

Flames shot out Brandie's old room Friday night at the condemned motel. The city had cleared the building and cut power to it the night before. Earlier this month three dozen tenants were evacuated after the city deemed the place to dangerous to live.

"It wasn't bad enough that we were homeless," said Baker.

Since the city gave residents at the motel little time to evacuate, they did allow them to store their possessions inside until they found a new home. Brandie left most of her clothes, kitchenware and toys for her two-year-old son inside her room. She fears most of her belongings were destroyed in the fire.

WDAY logo
listen live
watch live
Newsletter signup for email alerts

A second fire heavily damaged another section of the motel. It's unclear if anyone else was still storing stuff inside their old room.

"Every time we try to move forward we end up further behind," said Baker.

Brandie and her family have a hotel for another couple weeks until they find a new home. But because of the fire that new home will be pretty empty.

"There is only one way to go right, doesn't get worse that this," said Baker.

Fire investigators with the Attorney General's office are working to figure out how the fire started.