BISMARCK — A North Dakota state panel voted Tuesday, June 18 to move forward with fixes to the new governor's residence.

Facility Management Director John Boyle previously said kitchen hoods weren't adequately venting food aromas and a lack of "sound absorption" in a large event space made conversation difficult.

The Capitol Grounds Planning Commission agreed to use a building fund that's mostly supported by oil royalties to deal with the issues, though Boyle was unsure how much the fixes would cost.

"We just know we can't go over $250,000 because that's all they can spend without authority from the Legislature," he said.

The residence's architect, Chris Hawley, said the projects would involve adding acoustic panels in the formal space, installing a larger kitchen hood and encapsulating duct work with spray foam. Hawley is a member of the planning commission.

WDAY logo
listen live
watch live

Boyle said he hopes to complete the projects "relatively soon."

Gov. Doug Burgum's spokesman previously described the issues as "minor" and said the nearly $5 million building on the southwest corner of the state Capitol grounds has "proven to be a beautiful facility with a highly utilized event space intended to showcase our great state."

Lawmakers budgeted $4 million in state funds and $1 million in donations in 2015 to demolish the old home and make way for the new one. Project planners didn't originally have enough money to address some of the issues now being raised because a fundraising effort fell more than $100,000 short, Boyle previously said.

"I think we want to remove the perception that we got problems with what was done over there, and it's really just completing the project because we're a little bit short of funding," said Republican Rep. Glenn Bosch, a member of the planning commission.