Mayo Clinic announces enhancement projects at multiple campuses
The projects are part of the clinic's "Bold. Forward." strategic plan.
ROCHESTER — Mayo Clinic announced campus enhancement projects at Mayo Clinic Health System locations in La Crosse, Wisconsin; Mankato, Minnesota; and Jacksonville, Florida, as part of its "Bold. Forward." strategic plan.
According to the press release issued on Tuesday, Feb. 22, 2022, the La Crosse and Mankato campus projects will incorporate new artificial intelligence technologies, while the Jacksonville campus will transform the hospital infrastructure.
The La Crosse and Mankato projects constitute a $353 million investment in the future of Mayo Clinic Health System. Construction is expected to begin this spring at both locations and be completed by 2024.
Mayo Clinic Health System in La Crosse
The La Crosse project will replace the current hospital building with a new six-level, 70-bed hospital connected to the Cancer and Surgery Building.
The new facility will include:
- A surgical and procedural floor adjacent to and integrated with the current operating rooms, housing pre-recovery and post-recovery rooms.
- Endoscopy suites.
- Cardiac catheterization labs and interventional radiology.
- Medical-Surgical units.
- A flexible ICU and Progressive Care Unit.
- A new Family Birth Center.
- Unfinished shell space for future growth.
Mayo Clinic Health System in Mankato
The Mankato project features a 121-bed expansion in three floors to be added atop the Emergency Department, Cancer Center and Specialty Clinic foyer. Hospital floors within the new tower will link to the existing hospital and include:
- A new and expanded ICU and Progressive Care Unit.
- A new Medical-Surgical Unit.
- A new Family Birth Center.
Mayo Clinic in Florida
The expansion in Florida includes building five new floors atop the existing hospital tower — resulting in 121 new inpatient beds, including 56 ICU beds — with additional shelled space for future growth. Construction at the hospital in Jacksonville, Florida, is expected to begin later this year and will be completed by the end of 2026.
The expansion joins other projects occurring at Mayo Clinic in Florida, including the construction of the first carbon ion therapy facility in North America. Mayo Clinic hospital opened in April 2008 with six floors and 214 beds, and was further expanded in 2012 when two floors and 90 beds were added. After new construction is completed, the hospital will have 1.4 million square feet, 13 floors and 428 patient beds. The $432 million expansion will meet increasing patient demand.
Previously announced investments
Tuesday's announcements are in addition to investments to Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota, and Mayo Clinic in Arizona announced last year:
- In August 2021, Mayo Clinic announced a $200 million expansion to the Mayo Clinic Proton Beam Therapy Program . More details about that Rochester project, expected to begin later this year, can be found here .
- In February 2021, Mayo Clinic announced the construction of an $131 million Integrated Education and Research Building in Arizona to accelerate the growth of Mayo Clinic’s education and research programs. The 150,000-square-foot building is part of a $748 million expansion project underway on Mayo Clinic’s Phoenix campus. More information on the Phoenix project can be found here .