Dog started Dilworth apartment blaze, fire marshal says
Clay County Sheriff Mark Empting reminded residents to never leave the stove unattended while cooking and to keep areas around heat sources free of combustible materials.
DILWORTH, Minn. — A dog started an apartment fire Wednesday, Aug. 17, in Dilworth, according to the Minnesota State Fire Marshal.
Shortly after 7 a.m., firefighters were called to 603 1st Ave. N.W. in Dilworth, where they saw smoke coming from apartments on the first and second floors.
Food was being cooked in a toaster on the stove when a dog got onto the counter to try to eat it, accidentally turning the stove's burners on in the process, the fire marshal said. The burners started other items on the stove on fire.
One person suffered smoke inhalation while helping others out of the building, according to Clay County Sheriff Mark Empting. A dog was rescued from the apartment and received first aid before being taken to a veterinary hospital.
"To my knowledge the dog is fine," Empting said in a news release.
The fire displaced some residents of the apartment complex, and they are receiving help from the American Red Cross. Fire damage was limited to the apartment where the fire started.
Empting reminded residents to never leave the stove unattended while cooking and to keep areas around heat sources free of combustible materials.