'Yer a Blizzard, Harry': MnDOT announces winners of snowplow naming contest
Eight plows will sport new names as the Minnesota Department of Transportation announces winners of the 2023 Name a Snowplow contest.
ST. PAUL — Eight Minnesota Department of Transportation snowplows are getting new names as the winners of the 2023 "Name a Snowplow" contest are announced.
Since late January, more than 64,000 voters cast ballots in the contest. After receiving more than 10,400 name ideas, staff narrowed the list to 60 finalists for the public to vote on. This is the third year MnDOT has hosted the annual Name a Snowplow contest.
The winning names in order of vote totals are:
- Yer a Blizzard, Harry: District 8, southwest Minnesota.
- Blizzo: Twin Cities.
- Clearopathtra: District 1, northeast Minnesota.
- Better Call Salt: District 3, central Minnesota.
- Han Snowlo: District 7, south-central Minnesota.
- Blader Tot Hotdish: District 2, northwest Minnesota.
- Scoop! There It Is: District 6, southeast Minnesota.
- Sleetwood Mac: District 4, west-central Minnesota.
MnDOT now has 25 named snowplows across the state, including Plowy McPlowFace, Betty Whiteout, Duck Duck Orange Truck and the Big Leplowski.
In addition to the 24 named snowplows through the Name a Snowplow contest, staff in District 1 also chose to add a named snowplow to their region in 2022. Giiwedin, the Ojibwe word for the North Wind, is stationed in Duluth near the Fond Du Lac Reservation.