Moorhead students win 2 national speech and debate awards
Seventeen speakers qualified for the National Tournament in Phoenix, Arizona, from June 11-16.
FARGO — The Moorhead High School speech team was recognized for Excellence in Speech by the National Speech and Debate Association, winning the Leading Chapter Award and the Team Sweepstakes Award.
The Moorhead students were recognized at the National Speech and Debate Association's Norther Lights District tournament on March 17-18.
Seventeen speakers qualified for the National Tournament in Phoenix, Arizona, from June 11-16. Those students are:
- Drama: Tate Horan, Leif Carlson, Luc duCharme.
- Humor: Tate Horan, Ashlyn Kanuch.
- Oratory: Hameedah Oladele, Sam Schaefer, Emma Anderson.
- Dramatic Duo: Finn Larson and Leif Carlson, Ashlyn Kanuch and Sam Schafer, CeCe Bedore and Jack Nichol, Greta Homuth and Olivia Dahlberg.
- Informative: Karena Christenson, Eleanor Culloton.
- Program Oral Interpretation: Finn Larson, India Carlson, Hameedah Oladele.
- Extemporaneous Speaking: Larkyn Kellen, Jinu Lee.
The public is invited to see the six-time state championship team at the Speech Showcase at 7 p.m. Thursday, March 23, in the Horizon Performing Arts Center. Price of admission is $8 for adults and $6 for students and includes a dessert option.