SUBSCRIBE NOW Get a year of news PLUS a gift box!



Test results show source of deadly gas that killed Moorhead family of 7

The case of the Hernandez-Pinto family's deaths is now closed, according to Moorhead police.

Year's biggest stories_10
The Hernandez-Pinto family.
Photo via Facebook
We are part of The Trust Project.

MOORHEAD — The results of blood tests intended to identify the source of carbon monoxide that killed a Moorhead family of seven reveal that the gas came from a furnace in an attached garage of their home.

The investigation stemmed from the deaths of Belin Hernandez, 37; Marleny Pinto, 34; Breylin Hernandez, 16; Mike Hernandez, 7; Marbely Hernandez, 5, Eldor Hernandez Castillo, 32; and Mariela Guzman Pinto, 19. The family was found dead Dec. 18 at a south Moorhead twinhome at 4403 13th St. S.

The Ramsey County Medical Examiner's Office in St. Paul determined the cause of the family members' deaths was carbon monoxide poisoning within days of their deaths. Police narrowed the source of the gas to either a furnace or a vehicle parked in the garage, Moorhead Police Chief Shannon Monroe said at the time.

Results of blood tests released Monday, Jan. 24, helped eliminate the vehicle as a source of the carbon monoxide. The tests checked for blood cyanide, which would be present "if the poisoning were the result of a combustion engine from a vehicle," Moorhead police said in a statement.

The blood tests came back negative for blood cyanide, ruling out the vehicle and leaving the furnace as the only possible source of carbon monoxide, police said.


Related stories:
The memorial services for seven people, and the burial of five people, marked one of the largest funeral services in the Fargo-Moorhead metro area’s history.

The furnace was in a separate room in the garage and was functioning properly, Monroe said. The state fire marshal and an HVAC specialist were unable to "duplicate a furnace malfunction whereby carbon monoxide was entering the home," according to a Dec. 22 statement from Moorhead police.

The home was about 54 degrees when emergency workers arrived Dec. 18, Monroe said, noting that was likely because the furnace was on air mode and went out at some point, but the fan was still circulating.

Documents indicate a city inspection in 2017 called on the owners of the twinhome, JEM Property Development, to repair the furnace as it was not providing the appropriate amount of heat.

A carbon monoxide detector in the home was found detached from the wall and in a laundry room cabinet with the battery removed, Monroe said. It had been replaced with a smoke-only detector.

The investigation into the seven deaths is considered complete, police said, and the case is closed.

What to read next
Protests are a regular occurrence outside the Fargo abortion clinic. Longtime demonstrators have told The Forum that if the clinic moves to Moorhead, they will continue their protests there.
Jerry Jerome Wise was stopped by a state trooper along with his co-conspirator, Damara Needham, who was sentenced to 10 years in federal prison in March.
The Moorhead City Council on Monday, May 23, approved the renovations to tide the pool over over until a decision is made on a possible aquatics complex.
The two items with an immediate impact were the failure to fund the final stretch of the city's flood control project along the Red River in the bonding bill and to adjust a technicality in a sales tax bill that residents will vote on in November.