Morning headlines: A total wrap up of Tuesday's North Dakota primary election results
Follow this Fargo-Moorhead news and weather podcast on Apple, Spotify, and Google Podcasts.
Here is your InForum Minute for Wednesday, June 15.
North Dakota voters took to the polls Tuesday, June 14 to choose city-wide officeholders and primary winners for state offices. You can see all of our results here , and here's a snapshot:
- Tim Mahoney fended off challenges from six other candidates Tuesday to retain his position as Fargo mayor, but a measure of patience was required to learn the results. Full story here.
- Fargo voters returned incumbent Dave Piepkorn to his City Commission seat while newcomer Denise Kolpack won a four-year term. Full story here.
- Four newcomers and one incumbent appeared to have claimed seats in the Fargo School Board election. With all precincts reporting results late Tuesday, it appeared the following candidates were elected: Melissa Burkland with 10.38% of the vote; Katie Christensen, 9.72%; Greg Clark, 8.96%; Nyamal Dei, 7.78%; and Robin Nelson, the lone incumbent elected, with 7.68%. Full story here.
- Fargo voters have approved a cleaned-up version of the city's term limit ordinance. The new language clears up any misconceptions about term limits and guarantees that the city law in effect since for 30 years will continue. Full story here.
- Despite highly contested city races just to the east, West Fargo's mayoral, city commission and park board elections were all uncontested. Full story here.
- After seven candidates vied for three seats on the West Fargo School Board, three of the four incumbents will return to the board with one new face, who received the second highest vote totals. Full story here.
Man wanted for felony murder in California arrested near Fargo
HORACE, N.D. — A man wanted on a felony murder warrant in California was arrested near Fargo.
The Cass County Sheriff’s Office announced Tuesday night, June 14, Kira Conerly-Burton II, of Bakersfield, California, was arrested Tuesday afternoon in Horace, North Dakota, which is just south of Fargo. Few details were given about the arrest. He is being held at the Cass County Jail pending extradition to California.
Burton is wanted by the Bakersfield Police Department in connection with a March 22 shooting in the city about 150 miles north of Los Angeles, according to media reports. Officers said they found 32-year-old Michael Rico Stubbs with multiple gunshot wounds at an intersection in the city, media reports said. Full story here.
'It just makes sense': Fargo Park Board discuss addition of ice sheets at new sports complex
FARGO — The Fargo Sports Complex may be getting ice after all.
After plans for an ice rink at the new 260,000-square-foot facility in south Fargo were initially scrapped last year, the topic resurfaced at Tuesday's Fargo Park Board meeting with a call to add two youth ice sheets to the $77.6 million complex which broke ground in early May .
After a discussion that lasted just under one hour, the board voted unanimously to direct staff to investigate a predesign phase for adding two sheets of ice to the sports complex and to determine an estimated cost for the additions. As part of the motion, the city's finance department will also analyze potential mechanisms to help fund the construction of the ice sheets with the information to be brought to the facilities department for review later this month. Full story here.