Neighbor uses garden hose to help save south Fargo home from burning

A fire fueled by construction debris damaged siding on the home.

Fire Report FSA

FARGO — A rental home in south Fargo was saved from further damage when a neighbor used a garden hose to keep a fire under control until firefighters showed up.

Crews were dispatched shortly before 6 p.m. Tuesday, June 22, and they found a large construction debris pile on fire in the backyard.

Battalion Chief Jason Ness said firefighters quickly extinguished the fire and kept it from spreading into the home. There was damage to the exterior, however, as the siding on the backside of the home had melted, and multiple windows were broken due to "radiant heat."

Ness said construction debris was in the backyard due to crews preparing the home for new renters. The fire appeared to be accidental, and not suspicious, he said.

Residents have been concerned about several suspected cases of arson around the city in recent weeks.


Ness said the construction pile was fairly large at about 15 feet by 15 feet with some combustible material in it. The home was north of the city's water treatment plant near the Red River.

He said the neighbor did help the situation, and also issued a reminder that people should call 911 immediately in the event of a fire and exit buildings. He said summer was a good time for children to practice exit drills with their families to make sure there are at least two ways out of a home.

What To Read Next
Get Local