Area observances planned for Memorial Day
Following is a list of scheduled area Memorial Day observances:
• Fargo: Fargo veterans will assemble at 8:30 a.m. Monday in Fargo's Holy Cross North Cemetery, 1502 32nd Ave. N. A salute to veterans will be at 8:45.
Veterans will gather at 10:30 a.m. in Riverside Cemetery, 2102 5th St. S., and will march to the Veterans Plot, where there will be a program at 10:45. Fargo Mayor Dennis Walaker will offer a greeting, and past commander Ed Milligan of the Fargo Disabled American Veterans will speak.
At 12:15 p.m., veterans units will gather for a ceremony at Sunset Memorial Gardens Cemetery, 1715 52nd Ave. S.
AMVETS will serve a picnic-style lunch at noon.
The Vietnam Memorial Exhibit and Wall will be on display at the Fargo Air Museum, 1609 19th Ave. N. Memorial Day weekend hours are: 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Friday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturday and 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Sunday and Monday.
• Moorhead: The VFW and American Legion will host a ceremony at 11 a.m. in the Moorhead Armory, 1002 15th Ave. N. Col. Scott Anderson of the U.S. Army Reserve will speak.
Veteran color guards will participate in ceremonies throughout the morning at the following locations: Veterans Memorial Bridge, 7 a.m.; Sunset Memorial Gardens, Moorhead, 8:30 a.m.; Sabin, Minn., cemeteries, 8:55 a.m.; Sunset Memorial Gardens, Fargo, 9:35 a.m.; Evergreen Cemetery, Moorhead, 9:50 a.m.; Prairie Home Cemetery, Moorhead, 10:05 a.m.; St. Joseph Cemetery, Moorhead, 10:20 a.m.; Riverside Cemetery, Moorhead, 10:25 a.m.; and Concordia Cemetery near Moorhead, 10:30 a.m.
• West Fargo: The West Fargo VFW will hold a flag-raising at 10:30 a.m. A march will follow to Elmwood Park, where a program will begin at 11. West Fargo High School ROTC member Jim Peterson and North Dakota State University ROTC member and National Guard Cadet Renee O'Conner will speak. Cookies and coffee will be served. In case of rain, all ceremonies will be held in the VFW.
• Glyndon, Minn.: The program will begin at 9:55 a.m. at the Concordia Cemetery Association, 6637 80th Ave. N. Lunch will be served after the service. For more information, call Lloyd Gunderson at (218) 287-8707.
• Horace, N.D.: Services will be held at the
following cemeteries: Clemenson, 9:15 a.m.; St. Benedict, 9:30 a.m.; Lower Wild Rice, 9:50 a.m.; Salem, 10 a.m.; Horace, 11 a.m.; Sheyenne River, 11:15 a.m.; St. Johns, 11:30 a.m.; and Brink, 11:40 a.m. A potluck lunch will be served at noon in the Horace Senior Center. In case of rain, an 11:45 a.m. service will be held in the center.
• North Dakota Veterans Cemetery, Mandan: Events will begin at noon south of Mandan on Highway 1806. Command Sgt. Maj. Francis S. Brager of the Camp Grafton Training Center will speak.
To include an event, e-mail information to firstname.lastname@example.org .