SUBSCRIBE NOW AND SAVE 3 months just 99¢/month

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

Becker County hunter badly burned when space heater sets pants on fire

RURAL MENAHGA, Minn. - A hunter here was severely burned Sunday when a space heater in a deer stand caused his sweatpants to catch fire, according to the Becker County Sheriff's Department.

RURAL MENAHGA, Minn. - A hunter here was severely burned Sunday when a space heater in a deer stand caused his sweatpants to catch fire, according to the Becker County Sheriff's Department.

Joseph Shepersky, 54, of rural Menahga, was flown to Hennepin County Medical Center in Minneapolis to be treated for burns on the lower half of his body, Chief Deputy Shane Richard said.

When Shepersky realized his pants were on fire, he climbed out of the deer stand, and his 15-year-old son helped to pull off his clothes, Richard said.

Emergency crews were called about 5:20 p.m., and firefighters put out flames that had spread from Shepersky's pants to the grass around the deer stand, Richard said.

Related Topics: BECKER COUNTYMENAHGAFIRES
What to read next
The overall number of hospitalized South Dakotans ticked down just slightly to 392
A big pharma opioid settlement nets North Dakota $45.5 million.
Throughout the pandemic, rural health care facilities have been overwhelmed, and an already strained workforce is partly to blame. According to Brad Gibbens, acting director of the Center for Rural Health at UND, workforce is the most important policy issue in rural health, especially nearly two years into the COVID-19 pandemic.
"Minding Our Elders" columnist Carol Bradley Bursack says it's as valuable and necessary as visiting a parent.