Sponsored By
An organization or individual has paid for the creation of this work but did not approve or review it.

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

Cigar suspected in West Fargo fire

A cigar is believed to have started a chair on fire, damaging a West Fargo apartment Wednesday and injuring the tenant, Fire Chief Roy Schatschneider said.

A cigar is believed to have started a chair on fire, damaging a West Fargo apartment Wednesday and injuring the tenant, Fire Chief Roy Schatschneider said.

Leslie Moore, 61, had been sitting in the chair in the living room smoking a cigar before the fire at 228 9½ Ave. W., Schatschneider said.

The fire was apparently caused by the cigar butt or ashes being dropped onto the chair, smoldering and starting it on fire, Schatschneider said.

Moore told authorities he was in the bedroom when a smoke alarm alerted him to the fire, Schatschneider said. Moore had to walk by the burning chair to get out of the apartment, and he sustained minor injuries, he said.

The fire, which was initially reported as a basement fire but was actually on the ground floor, was reported at 12:43 a.m. Wednesday.

ADVERTISEMENT

The apartment sustained heavy smoke damage and will likely have to be stripped, Schatschneider said.

What To Read Next
Columnist Carol Bradley Bursack lists the various reason why some older adults may begin to shuffle as they age.
The Buffalo Bills safety who suffered a cardiac arrest on Monday Night Football in January is urging people to learn how to save lives the way his was saved.
Josh Sipes was watching an in-flight movie when he became aware the flight crew were asking for help assisting a woman who was experiencing a medical problem.
A Sanford doctor says moderate cold exposure could be the boost people need for their day.