Cold weather brings reminder that carbon monoxide can be a 'silent killer'
FARGO—Now that it's getting cold outside, it's important to remember to watch out for the 'silent killer.'
Carbon Monoxide is a colorless, odorless and tasteless gas.
Every year, at least 430 people die in the U.S. from accidental CO poisoning. Approximately 50,000 people in the U.S. visit the emergency room each year due to accidental CO poisoning.
The only way to safely detect CO is to have a detector in your home. If you suspect you have a leak, exit your home and call 911 immediately.
Fargo Fire Battalion Chief Bruce Anderson says carbon monoxide can be a silent killer.
"You can't see it, you can't smell it you know they call it the silent killer. It will sneak up on you. If you don't have a detector in your home there's a good chance that you wont know that it's happening," says Anderson.