Sponsored By
An organization or individual has paid for the creation of this work but did not approve or review it.

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

Fargo apartment fire blamed on light for snake cage

An electric light used to heat a snake cage was blamed for a fire that damaged a second-floor Fargo apartment unit Tuesday. The tenant had a corn snake in an aquarium with a screen on top of it in her bedroom, said Fargo Fire Capt. Randy Weiss. I...

Carrying cat to safety
Jess Rehder carries her cat out of her apartment building after Fargo firefighters extinguished a blaze Tuesday at 120 S. University Drive. Dave Wallis / The Forum

An electric light used to heat a snake cage was blamed for a fire that damaged a second-floor Fargo apartment unit Tuesday.

The tenant had a corn snake in an aquarium with a screen on top of it in her bedroom, said Fargo Fire Capt. Randy Weiss.

Investigators determined that a light used to heat the cage ignited combustibles, he said.

"They're not sure if the electric light was knocked off by the wind blowing through a window or maybe the cat that was in the house," he said.

The fire was contained to the bedroom, and all tenants safely escaped the four-plex at 120 S. University Drive, he said.

ADVERTISEMENT

Firefighters were called to the blaze at 1:21 p.m. Tuesday and arrived to find flames and smoke coming out the second-story window.

Crews had trouble finding the second-floor access, so they climbed on ladders up the outside of the building and hit it with water from the outside, Weiss said. They knocked most of the fire down before allowing crews to enter and put out the rest of it.

"Actually, this fire was contained to just that one room in the bedroom. The other bedroom was unaffected, and the fire never reached the ceiling and made it into the attic, so the guys did a good job here," Weiss said.

Jess Rehder, whose bedroom bore the brunt of the blaze, said firefighters were already there when she arrived home from shopping downtown.

After the fire, they led her into the apartment to retrieve her cat, Lily, who appeared unscathed.

The snake did not survive, Weiss said.

Diane Hay said she and her boyfriend were "sound asleep" in their second-floor unit next door when they awoke to firefighters kicking in the door. She grabbed her cat and got out of the building.

Hay said they had just moved in a week ago.

ADVERTISEMENT

"I don't know what we're going to do," she said before getting back into her apartment. "We don't have a lot of money to rent another place."

There was slight water damage to the apartments, Weiss said. The four-plex was turned over to owner Rick Sorenson to determine if the units were still habitable, he said.

A first-floor tenant whose German shepherd took off during the fire was later reunited with the dog, Weiss said.

The building's owner estimated the damage at $60,000, he said.

The Salvation Army assisted displaced tenants.

Readers can reach Forum reporter Mike Nowatzki at (701) 241-5528

Carrying cat to safety
A Fargo firefighter contends with smoke billowing out of a second-story window while fighting a fire Tuesday at a four-plex at 120 S. University Drive. Dave Wallis / The Forum

Related Topics: FIRES
What To Read Next
Nonprofit hospitals are required to provide free or discounted care, also known as charity care; yet eligibility and application requirements vary across hospitals. Could you qualify? We found out.
Columnist Carol Bradley Bursack explains the differences between Alzheimer's, dementia and other common forms of dementia.
While the United States government gave help to businesses and people, a lack of assistance has left some Chinese citizens angry and destitute.
Having these procedures available closer to home will make a big difference for many in the region.